Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Busy Busy days


Our pals from San Diego are here...
and what fun we are having..
They arrived and we met them at a Chicago Style Pizza place and met their nieces, nephew in law and four little kids..
what fun this was..
and it seemed Uncle Bob was the "quarter go to guy for the machines..!

The next day they arrived at the RV park with their RENTAL...
 bare bones it is.. and they were pretty cold the first night..
lent them a ceramic heater
 and we hope that was a good thing for their second night.


Now we have managed a trip to the Sonora Desert Museum for the Free flight of the Grey Hawk, The Peregrine Falcon and the Harris Hawk Family...
the grey hawk is without a doubt one very beautiful bird of prey and to see it flying so fast and then land so close was thrilling.AND we knew exactly where to stand!
The Harris Hawks are fantastic and they hunt in familial groups.. there is an alpha male and a the hierarchy was challenged while we were watching them
count them... there are three hawks all fighting for that one branch!
To the victor goes the spoils!
 
A little fly by for your enjoyment..
Just so you know I took these with my 5D MK2 and a landscape lens!!!
DUH, can you tell how long it has been since I went shooting birds!
 
We enjoy this place so much and will return many times before we leave the area.
One of the really nice things about this place is it is really a desert environment.
And we found more then one crested cactus there as well.
These are beautiful saguaro cactus with a crested top.
 No two experts can explain exactly what or why the crest
 but when you see you do not forget them.
You KNOW the desert is my all time favourite place to be and I will share more about where we are and what we are doing later.
Because in the midst of this, I went to an orientation on dog walking only to find out that it was two hours earlier!
Those of you who KNOW me are groaning saying"oh she did it again"
 Not this time kids, it was their screw up
 but I am going back next week for an animal handling course and the orientation..
 so we wandered off to a place called Sweet Water.. (treatment plant)
 for some MID DAY birding.. yeah right..
we saw lots and I grabbed a cinnamon teal and a summer tanager in pixels.. not edited yet!
 
From there we went to a Chinese place for my fave food
and thank goodness Janice and Bob loved it too.
Then back to the park as Lee had been trying all day to put together our new Sleep by Number bed! Now I am not sure about any of you , but I had never heard of this thing.
But I can tell you our mattress was NOT working out and it was brand new..
 Jose  of our park took it five minutes after it was put out..
 yeah no hauling fees!
Lee got the bed finished by 9 o'clock ..
just in time for me to make it up.. .
 Lee had to help as it is damned hard to get fitted CA sheets on a bed that does not move!
 
Whilst he was busy doing that Janice and I were colouring.. you read right!
We were colouring.
Janice brought us a "Shrinky Dink" Christmas tree complete with ornaments!
 Now I had never seen these either
but I can tell you if you have kids or grands this is the way to go..
What fun we are having..
 
Today we are going somewhere
and for the life of me I cannot recall where.
 Either White Water Draw to see IF there are cranes..
 or Titan Missile site..
either way I have made a picnic for all of us.
 
Thank you once again for stopping by...
 be sure to check back as the adventures continue and the events unfold..
 we always enjoy having you with us.
Peace
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm taking notes!! Love the hawk photos!! That's a place we would like to visit ... my list is getting long and I'm realizing that there is so much to see & do!! Our friends spend the month of January down there & this will be their second trip ... and they've booked for next year. Thanks for sharing your experiences Gaye ... I've reviewed your 2010 blog .... fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you'll be enjoying your picnic as I write this. I know you're all having a great time! Hi to J&B, hope their night was a tad warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Lee. Sounds like everyone had a time.Super raptor pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the bed will do the magic and help with Lee's back. Sounds like quite a job to put it in. Have fun with the SD kids, Hi to B & J for us.

    Our health is turning the corner, will be back in action soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, YOU know what I think about the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum...Gray Hawks AND Harris Hawks? Marvelous. Good bird photos too Gaye, even if taken with your landscape lens - we'll get you back "into" birds soon enough! Good to hear that Janice and Bob finally got out there, too. Please give them my best, and tell them I hope to meet them On The Road sometime soon... Hugs, L'il Bro

    ReplyDelete