Sunday, December 16, 2012

Animal Shelters...

Well this will have no pics..
but that is most likely a good thing.
Lee and I went to four Pet Smart stores covering over 80 miles of travel
 to see what adoptable dog was going to be ours.
While we saw many wonderful dogs..
 and I mean really wonderful.
There was not one that said "Gaye you cannot leave without me"..
.So many animals... so many abuses.. so many heart breaks..

I went for my interview with Hope for Paws..
it is a rescue center and a no kill.
There they do what they can, with limited funding and limited space
and in an area where there is NOT a blade of grass anywhere.

Met two little "break out" dogs...
determined to NOT be there anymore..
cuties for certain..
the one that did not want to break out was a new arrival.. Mona..
terrible name for a sweetie dog.
 She is very apprehensive and really scared...
 she is the dog I will be socialising and walking..
hopefully she will be less afraid when we are done..

Walking..
well now we drove the area and frankly for  a Canadian used to green spaces and grassy areas,
 this is depressing.
 Not a park to throw a ball around in...
 no grass to play on..
 so it is stark
 but it is an outing
and one must always look to what advantages there are
rather then what is not an advantage.
Next Saturday I spend several hours there and by myself,
 which to me is not bright
but Lee is going to be there too.

Next we stopped in at Pima Animal Shelter..
 and we saw well over 60 dogs..
 in prison like cages.
Some two and three in a cage.
Cannot be helped.
 It is clean and it has so many volunteers.
I never made it down one aisle without tears..
Had to stop and take a deep breath..
 continued on and it all just broke my heart.
 Moms with puppies,
big dogs that stand not a chance..
 gorgeous dogs but because they are Pitts they will end up on death row.
 All of them looking to a forever home
and all of it un-necessary if only people would spay and neuter their pets
and NOT ABANDON, ABUSE or wantonly DISREGARD what animal they do have.

Left there completely drained.
I cannot go there to look for an adoptable forever dog again.
 I will go and walk dogs.. and will enjoy that...
 but I will attend Adoption Fairs from now on..
the shelter is too difficult for me to maintain my cool..
 and I cannot even look at dogs if I am crying.
.it is all just so sad.

I say to any volunteer,
any one that does rescue work,
shelter work,
animal control..
you guys are seriously heroes..
God Bless each one of you for what you do.

Peace and show kindness to all living creatures please

2 comments:

  1. Never fear the time is just not yet. Trust me it will happen. Go by your gut feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this is where you're hiding out! Hi Gaye and Lee....nice to see you meet up with J & B. You're visiting some really great places...many of them, Dave and I have also been to.
    I couldn't think of anything more depressing than Animal Shelters except when you keep in mind that it is there 'last chance for life', it feels necessary. Check out the fb page 'Voluteers and Friends of Cinderella' to see Hershey the poodle. He's a beautiful 6 year old poodle who was dropped off at a groomers and never picked up. He looks so sweet.
    Looks like you're heading this way. I hope we meet up before the winter is over...would absolutely love to see you two again! Your blog is a great read...amazing photos...and I look forward to your next adventure! Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete