Everyone goes to a street fair for a variety of reasons
and no two reasons are the same.
Some go for the things you can buy, that you maybe cannot get anywhere else.
Some go for the food and free entertainment.
Some go to people watch and enjoy the great weather ...
Some go to poach and prey on people....
Some go for the sheer fun of it all.
Some go for all of that and more.
It seems I had my agenda before we arrived
and what I wanted was some great street photography moments and not much else.
I got a few doorways that interested me, and a few very weird people.
Got some street buskers which were not all that bad
and even took some shots of some of the food that was being offered up.
I heard my arteries slamming shut at some of the food booths!
Everyone that knows me knows I LOVE foot long hot dogs with mustard and fried onions..
and boy did they smell fantastic.
BUT...
you can tell my age these days..
I did not have one.
Yuppers, passed it by!
I walked for hours in the hot sun,
lost everyone I had gone there with..
oh well.
I heard people preaching the end of the world,
I saw tarot cards being read,
henna applied to hands
and little ones faces being painted.
I saw mentally ill people wandering,
guys pandering and cranked up "altered" folks dancing to their own sounds.
Art, specialty clothing, large photographs for sale and tons of the unique and odd for sale.
Ran into to a few issues with folks not wanting any pictures taken..
and in MOST cases I complied.
BUT...
ah hell you knew it was coming right?
I was busy taking a picture of a window.. a window for crying out loud.
This woman comes at me very aggressively..
"PUT THAT CAMERA AWAY"!!!!
I say" excuse me"?
She points to a sign that says no photographs..
I tell her fine, but I am not in her store
and the window is on a public thorough fare
and it is a public event.
Normally I would have said "sorry" and gone on my way.
BUT.
She was rude and in my face,
so I suggested she call a cop...
there were dozens of them around.
Said I would wait..
Funny thing is I lost interest in the window
and wanted to get her photo!!!
Not going to happen..
she backed down muttering in a language I have not heard in a long time..
RUSSIAN!
So the stand off ended peacefully but I was irritated no end.
It is an age old question as to what you can photograph
and what you cannot.
I am very respectful of this and do not cross too many lines with it.
Lee finally found me(thank goodness for cell phones) and we stopped at Magpies for a bite to eat.. had a slice of pizza and a Greek salad.. the salad was the worst I have encountered yet and something I had never encountered before. Who knew that hot peppers were a part of a Greek salad?
So more money wasted...
We ..well slight correction.. I was so done. Ready to call it a day. We waited for our friends from Osoyoos to meet up with us and had a nice wee visit.
Then onto to our respective vehicles.
On our way......... there was a man,
Native American sitting on a cement block on the street.
An older guy.
Says to me
"Ma'am could you spare a $1.50 for my bus fare to get back to the reservation"?
I stopped in my tracks, ,looked at him, smiled and said" this is your lucky day".
No judgements passed and no explanation necessary and here you go,have a great day and somewhere along the journey Pay It Forward.
My husband cynically asked me if I thought this man even knew what that meant.
He did and I thanked him.. he made my day!
So back to the Rolling Horn Inn
made fudge and cookies, company is coming!!!
I do have images to share, but they are not quite ready (almost)...
As soon as I have some to share, I will.
Until then thanks for peeking in and sharing our time.
We love having you along
Peace
Gaye/Big Sis, this blog is almost as good as being there by your side! I could smell the food, see the mentally ill, hear the rude Russian lady...and good on ya to give the fellow the bus money for the reservation. Is that what he really intended to use it for? Maybe not..but maybe so. It's easy to be cynical these days, therefore a kind gesture is all the more appreciated...Hugs, L'il Bro
ReplyDeleteYeah, we need to be careful where to point the cam these days. Lots of entrepreneurs these days want MONEY for pixels.
ReplyDeleteMoney? For that thing?...... I asked. I said to them "Don't you want to be famous? Don't you want to be on Utube?" However, they are too low tech to understand what mass media could do to a business/person.
O well.