A new year upon us
and I seem to want to share my news with you .
I am fostering a dog..
and this in and of itself is quite a story.
The dog whose real name is "Margaret" ..
"Peggy" for short..
is a bit of a weird looking old gal.
The place where she was staying did not want to put her down
but they needed someone to sort of go to bat for her and socialise her.
That is where I stepped in....
Now this female dog
(or in the dog world, bitch;)
is not a youngster..
and she does have a few things wrong with her.
To say she is a challenge,
is nothing short of a long long way from truth.
"Peggy" has only three legs
and I have taken to calling her "Peg".. ..
Now I had the suggestion given to me of a great name..
(given my love of photography)
the suggestion was to call her "Tripod"!
Great name, but somehow "Peg" just stuck.
The other issue we deal with is,
she has a skin condition
and the dry desert air is just damaging
her otherwise wonderful skin.
She is really patchy and a lot of her hair has fallen out..
Now I do not know of any place that makes fake dog hair
so we think that a special coat or jacket will do nicely.
Lee's cousin who is a mighty fine seamstress and
is busy making Barbie clothes right now.
(She used to make wedding dresses
and has all these beautiful beads..
apparently loves beading too. )
But I digress.
The cuz is going to make a seriously gorgeous beaded jacket for "Peg"...
probably set her up for ridicule by other curs in the region,
that is for certain.
I have a friend back home that is sending some very expensive skin cream for "Peg".
She used to work for a medical facility
and when they heard this tragic story
they just had to help in some small way.
This is a grand gesture
because the American officials really do not like the idea of paying for medical expenses for a dog.
And an ugly dog at that.
Now you might be thinking
that I certainly do know how to make myself some extra work.
And some of you are probably thinking
that I just have to have a new project to give my attention to.
The situation with "Peg" has really captured my attention and my heart.
I only have her for two months
and must make sure she is ready to go to a good loving family.
Lots of work to do, to get her ready.
The other thing I forgot to mention,
is that she has only one eye.
My friend's son is going to make a doggy eye patch
so people will stop being cruel and asking where Peg's eye is!
We all know how cruel people can be.
Now my God Dog "Millie" knows all about that one.
When I take Peg out for her morning constitution
she balks at walking on gravel..
does not like that on her feet at all.
I have looked everywhere for a nice soft pair of leather boots for her
but where is a good Home Hardware when you want one?
So I have arranged to get an old golf cart to take "Peg" to and fro for her daily deliverances
She feels mighty proud sitting there I tell you
and people are getting used to her.
They are afraid to pat her
and that is slowing down my rehabilitation with her.
Some people are just so hung up on good looks.
This dog is one in a million
Has quite the character
and really is using her wiles to snare Lee's affection too.
They would be closer still ,if "Peg" smelled good.
With her skin condition, that is just not going to happen.
Maybe when the skin cream comes from Kelowna
that will change.
I am brushing "Peg's" teeth daily now
and it makes all the difference in the world.
As a treat for being so good,
I give her fresh fruit.
She seems to just love citrus fruit
So there you have it..
my new found project..
and who ever thought life was, in any way boring.
I want to thank specifically :
Gordon for the name,
Cory for the patch,
Esther for the cream ,
Irene for the beaded jacket and
The Mexican Market Gardener for the fruit.
The old golf cart was sold to me in a yard sale
and so, no thanks to old curmudgeon..
He saw me coming!!!
But "Peg" no longer has to walk on that awful gravel!
Look for more "Tails from the Desert" in the future
Happy New Year everyone
Oh my, you have a pup! Thank you for taking such good care of Peg!
ReplyDeleteOh Gaye - I do like the name you decided on! Suits her I think. Softer and more feminine than Tripod.
ReplyDeleteAnd what a good thing finding that golf cart. We hunted here but found nothing that could bear her weight.
How is the weight issue coming? Did the new food control the drooling problem at all? Wouldn't it be something if she no longer needed her bib !!
I can certainly see where she would love citrus, and hopefully it will improve the gum disease problem so it will be a win-win situation.
Let me know when the cream arrives, and if it's not too perfumed for Lee. If so, I can send the one with the fluorescent green Tea Tree Oil instead.
We are looking forward to hearing more of your travels, and adventures,
Sounds as if Peg is coming along nicely now. Of course, with the teeth brushing you'll have to be careful about biting as her gums heal. I imagine it was very painful for her to bite with the gums bleeding so much!
ReplyDeleteAll that fur coming out must be making a mess in the RV! Lee, you are a patient man!
A diet of fresh fruit must make poop-scooping a bit of a hastle.
BTW, which leg is missing? I do hope it's not one of her hind ones cause that'll surely make her toiletting messier!
Well, enjoy your day folks!
Oh my, you have such a big heart. Is the other eye gone or is she just blind? I could start a fund to get Peg Laser eye surgery? Let me know, I would do that for you, and Peg.. The one eye thing, I can kinda relate. Lol..... I hope she is not occupying all your time and you and Lee still have time for each other....
ReplyDeleteA dog for you, at last! At least we think it's a dog... She is so fortunate to have you to care for her in all her infirmities, Gaye; what a big heart you have! You didn't name the skin condition, but hair loss in elderly dogs is very often caused by a thyroid condition, and hair returns with daily thyroid medication. I would love to see a pic of the two of you touring in the golf cart!
ReplyDelete