Friday, January 14, 2011

Desert Museum Field trip

A day like any other but the difference is
we went birding!!!
Lee and I led a group from the RV Camera Club
to the Desert Museum.
Fine day and blue skies with warming temps to go with that.
I headed with my group to the Hummingbird Aviary and the other bird Aviary
whilst Lee took the rest of the group to the big cats.
It was very successful for all.

The birds were just getting started
so were moving slower then normal..
The cats were also on the move....

Now we decided to meet up for the free flight show at 10..
and I have to say that was a great show that was put on.
Great Horned Owl, Chihuahua Ravens, Grey Hawk,
Prairie Falcon and a Ferruginous Hawk.
I had my hair parted by the Prairie Falcon!!!
It was a very exciting show
and very much appreciated by a rather large crowd.

From this we went to lunch and again,
this was fun as they have really good food in the restaurant.
Free iced tea and coffee for members!!!

After this, we went to view the prairie dog community
and also saw the Desert Bighorns and the smaller cats..
saw an otter playing
Went to view the cougar, the bear
and saw a fantastic bonus..
an Iguana.. not native to here..
From south of the border and brought years ago for educational purposes but they were let go..
They have done well at the center.
This was a big strong creature and a real treat to be able to watch it closely.
We also saw a wild Spiny Tailed Lizard.

While some of the people in the group decided they needed tee shirts
we decided to sit and watch whatever..
and bonus time again!
Curved Bill Thrashers, Pyrrhuloxia, Cactus Wrens all right there.
In fact I hand fed a thrasher!!!
Had a wee bit of a smashed walnut in my hand
and they went for it!
Too cool for words I tell you.

We had a great day and spent many hours there
and the folks that joined in on this outing
had a super good time.
I am now called the "Bird Whisperer"!
How easily they are led down this garden path!

I deleted over 800 shots and will do a second sweep..
but I did get some amazing shots today.
Birding is always fun
when you see it through someone else's eyes for a change.

Tomorrow is Lee's Birthday and we are going out for Breakfast!
Bacon, Eggs, Hash Browns.... the whole nine yards!
Have not had a breakfast like that in maybe 7 months!!!
We are both looking forward to it.

Hope that you day is fantastic where you are
and thanks for coming along with us once again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh how I love it when "we" go on field trips !!
    This sounds like a smashing success.
    I am so glad you got a little one-on-one with a bird, and many close encounters.

    Cheers to the old guy on his special day,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use your big lens then?
    Sounds like a better day than mine for sure!
    Happy Birthday Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your big breakfast, Happy Birthday Lee !!

    ReplyDelete