Some exciting news to share with you today.
For the last while, Lee and I have been visiting different out of the way art galleries.
To say we hit the "Mother Lode" would a classic understatement.
We went to the De Grazia Gallery in the Sun
http://degrazia.org/Splash.aspx
and when I say that this is an experience not to be forgotten,
that is a truth.
We spent a considerable amount of time there and wouldn't you know it?
We both had the wrong cameras and the wrong lens for this type of adventure.
So, as we both loved it so much,
we will go back with the right stuff next time.
The amazing thing about this gallery
is that everything there including the buildings are in fact art!
I was lamenting the fact that we had not been birding in a long long time.
I, in fact have even considered selling my big lens.
I am just not using it that often anymore.
No concrete decision as of yet, just thinking about it.
Anyway we decided to go birding.
It was dismal to say the least.
Not very much water in the ponds at White water Draw
BUT there were 40 thousand plus Sandhill Cranes.
You could not get close even if you had hip waders.
Game personnel are patrolling in their trucks everywhere.
Good thing too,
as I know what some photographers can and will do
to get that one in a million shot!lol
Anyway after standing around for about three hours
I was so not into it at all.
I got Cinnamon Teal, Blue Winged Teal, Green Wing Teal
and Northern Pintails with Northern Shovellers.
And Say's Phoebe.
But to tell you the truth, I have them many times over
and after taking almost 1100 images
I can safely tell you I have maybe 40 left
and will pare that down considerably as well.
Lee and I also visited Old Bisbee.
It is supposed to have lots of artsy things there.
Well it is a town that is once again on it's last gasp.
Without tourists this place would be a ghost town.
Many businesses are closed /for lease/ or out of business.
We did manage to go into three galleries
and when I say that these were the best surprise of all.
Man alive ..
this one gallery is in an old theatre and has a magnificent tin roof ceiling.
Every piece of art(from around the world) was top notch and donated.
The gallery sales go entirely to a Shelter for Women.
The art in there was nothing short of amazing, tantalizing and simply marvellous to behold.
I would love to own many pieces
but this is not going to happen .
I did manage to get photographs of the ones I really admired though.
We were also in a metal works gallery and wow..
the imagination that some people have just floors me.
I so admire thinking outside of the box
and this gallery was just the most inventive and creative I had seen in a long time.
The third gallery we went in was eclectic to say the very least.
It had clothing that was brand new made to look vintage and simply gorgeous..
Paintings that were delicious to look at
and fabrics that made me weak in the knees.
There were HDR photographs on metal in there
and they were top notch stuff.
Glass art and all sorts of things to delight the senses.
We ate in an old hotel and while the place and staff were wonderful,
the food was less then..
but hey we had a great time enjoying the art there.
Bisbee has a lot of down and out of work folks..
People that frankly look like the came right out Haight Ashbury of East Van..
These folks made it somewhat uncomfortable for the many tourists that were there.
If they do not get a grip on this issue
there will be no tourists willing to go there anymore.
Anyway, we have been enjoying our sojourns into the local art world
and will continue to seek out the unusual and out of the way galleries.
They simply are a big bonus of this area.
Going back to Tubac as well.
I love that place!
This time I am going to buy a colourful Frog and Lizard!
Thanks for coming along..
Many times the old buildings that house stores and galleries are worth the visit in themselves!
ReplyDeleteOne good day in a birding place and you'll be re-thinking selling that lens...
Take care you two!
We so enjoy riding along with you and Lee.
ReplyDeleteI am very excited about the new frog and lizard, and can imagine them in your home - reminding you of your colorful adventures.
Exploring new worlds and works. What a great thing it is.
I am loading up on art supplies here - - relying on your adventures for inspiration.
(I am seriously trying not to sulk about our soggy weather. Yesterday we shoveled - today it's melting all over the place.)
Always good to hear from you!