Well it is I , the wandering woman.
I have been and done so much since last I wrote
I hardly know where to start.
The begining could really be anywhere
and with my memory
it is going to be from the place I can recall best!
Our friends have arrived from someplace along the Colorado River,
Seems to me by the stories I heard, that it was civilised and quite a lot of fun.
Also because we recommended this place, that fun should happen here too.
So we really thought an evening of Bluegrass music
with a lovely family of five from Missouri would be at the very least, entertaining.
I will tell you all that it became painfully obvious that Bluegrass as presented by this family
was not going to be as entertaining as previously thought!
In fact it was awkwardly painful.
At one point I glanced over at Lee
and he actually was looking at the floor with a glazed look on his face.
Now I know when all you parents love your children
and pay for those music lessons,
think your little Brittany or Tucker are the MOST talented of offspring in the world.
BUT let me assure you
THEY ARE NOT!!!
Needless to say we bid goodbye to this group during a break
and really were very happy people to listen to the pure music of nothing on our way home.
From this fiasco, I decided next day it might be nice to acquaint our friends
to the many wonderful things to do in this wonderful OLD RV park.
It is 30-40 years old by the way.
Imagine my surprise when we happened upon a craft show!
Now come on I know some of reading this are groaning already.
What could they possibly have at a craft show in an RV park?
The things little old ladies make to stuff your plastic bags in?
Maybe those wildly imaginative carrying pouches
that hold your own dinnerware and cutlery when attending a dinner in the park?
Or how about those cute little tea towels with appliques on them
rendering them completely useless to wiping anything dry!
Well guess again kids!
Gorgeous jewellry hand crafted and quite exquisitely done.
Home made fudge!
The loveliest hand carved birds I have ever seen.
I mean they were so good I ordered two to be done for February.
The artist is a lovely women with talent to spare I tell you.
Did I mention there was home made candy?
There were the most incredible old boot bird houses and I thought "oh what a great idea"!
Suggested my friend start up a gift making program for all her neighbours back home in Black Diamond AB.
We were amused at this and the thought of old boots hanging in every tree in her home town.
My home town is far too sophisticated for old boots
but we decided that maybe old wine bottles could be re-used in some manner for this crafty side show!
Oh yes and there was this fine home made fudge.
Ok I did not have a penny on me as truly I forgot about this event
and clearly did not think it worthy of my time.
How wrong I was.
What a miscreant I can be.
So my friend graciously agreed to go get some money that I could spend.
I am pretty sure I pushed her out the door to go get money!!!
She was far closer then I and I planned on paying her back .. really I did.
First thing I purchased..
you guessed it.
FUDGE!!!!
Not one, but two containers.
I tasted one and sacriledge.. peanut butter fudge... ewww...... er
"I mean of look Lee I brought you a treat"!
I ate all but one piece of the chocolate.. it was really worth the entire 50 cents I spent!!!
From this event I was exhausted and needed to go do something constructive..
cannot for the life of me recall just what the heck that was at this moment
but I can assure you I enjoyed it.
OMG!! The camera club!
How in Heck could I forget this event!!!
22 or 224 people showed up and we had only 7 chairs.. that was fine with me...
but the guys all seemed to volunteer to go get chairs ..
I did at least thank all volunteers for doing this and they just seemed to do it.
What a great bunch of guys!
It was a interesting group of people with all sorts of levels of expertise.
I definitely will have fun leading this group.
First thing we will do is get many of them to bring their manuals(if they can find them )
and learn what the index in it is for!
They have so many wishes on their list while here.
How to get the pics off their cameras instead of just going out and buying a new card!
How to store their pictures and where?
What is a calibrated monitor..
and why is so hard to edit on a laptop?
Is editing hard to do ?
Can we have guest speakers in?
One lady urged us all to learn what she knows how to do..
put a spirit of an old Native guy in all your wildlife shots.
I am by now thinking this is going to be more fun then I could have anticipated.
So field trips are also high on the list
and apparently most of them take drive by shots as they "go see".
So they want to know how to take a bird picture?
I am pretty confident I can lose all of them with one outing with me and my big lens!!! LOL
what a meany I sound eh?
Not true I am seriously going to do everything in my capacity to show, share and get the information they crave and do not know YET!
Their first challenge is to get five of their BEST shots right here in the park.
And believe me , there is a ton of fantastic stuff here.
We will see.
Lining up a trip to a real good privately owned ghost town.
That should be a wicked amount of fun.
I certainly plan on enjoying it.
Now you might think that I am exhausted from all this phaldeerawl
Not so..
Saturday we decided it might be a great day to go to Tumacacori Monument.
When we got there, imagine our surprise to see literally dozens of cars.. everywhere.
Seems this is their biggest event of the year!
A FIESTA!!!
What fun.. really and truly it was wonderful.
The sounds of Mexican music,
the sights of over weight Native Americans sort of shuffling around and saying NO PHOTOGRAPHS!!
Please we do not want any!
and at this juncture, I am going to tell you WHY Canadian Aboriginals dance
and really make you sit up and take notice.
They dance!
They are spectacular
the costumes are fantastic..
they are not lethargic
and they are not insular in their approach to a crowd.
That is what we have come to expect
and they set the bar very high.
A young man came out on a grand looking horse and he was portraying Father Kino.
This lad and the young lady were from a high school just across the border in Mexico.
Lovely young people.
Great looking horse too.
The smell of food was just too much for Lee and he just had to try all the local goodies.
Everywhere you go it seems the Lions have the BEST food on the grounds.
Same here..
Chicken roasted over mesquite burning wood.
Now this is all good............ IF you are not sitting downwind of this smoke!
Otherwise it gets a bit much.
I am pretty certain I smelled like old roasted mesquite myself.
Now if this is NOT enough for one day we decided a quick trip to the spice factory was in order.
I do not want one single thing from there
but I am seriously impressed with the amazing four Porsches outside!!!
We then went to tour Tubac.
This is a gorgeous little place filled to overflowing with art and artisans.,
I was immediately reminded of beautiful Saltspring Island in BC.
The home of Robert Bateman..
Only Tubac is drier!
lol
I found a sculpture garden and truly it was a beautiful thing to be able to walk among such amazing pieces of world class art.
We truly had an amazing time there and because we had no idea how beautiful
or how many streets there actually were , we will go back again and again.
Stopped for some things at the grocery store on the way home
and I might say by now I was "snapping".
Lee no longer actively listens to much of what I say,
so he was not aware of this event unfolding as he was driving.
Worthy of a gaffaw here!
Brought our purchases home
and Lee put them inside the door
and said he was exhausted
and needed to sit back with a beer.
I concurred he should put his feet up and rest.
I would take care of putting things away, and get dinner.
No problem big guy!
Too bad he missed his beautiful sunset by mere seconds
but I have to say, I really love how hot dogs are so much better the longer they cook!
Now my day is NOT over !
I went to the dance with my friend and she and I had FUN!!
The lads stayed back and why you ask?
Because they would rather watch their own nose hairs grow
rather then go to a dance after the day we have enjoyed.
So I sat and arranged my smarties into colours and ate one of each colour every once in a while.
But then something magical happened!
I got asked to dance by t the owner of the park.
OH YES! There is a God...
I danced and simply did not think about it
I just went for it.
Had a blast.
70's and 80's music..
and lemme tell you after the first dance
I was pretty sure I might need medical assistance
but it got easier after the first one
and I really just had a seriously marvelous time.
I think I am gonna do that again and again!!!
What fun.
Anyway the week ended on that note and once again,
I am reminded what a joy it is to be around people
that are fun and live as they really truly like what their lives are all about.
Today OLD TUCSON!!!!
and adventure continues.
What a day! And, what a good read Gaye!
ReplyDeleteAnd here I am getting ready for work again tomorrow!