Today Lee and I decided we would go back to the Salton Sea area in California.
We wanted to see if we could find some more Obsidian stone
and also to see IF we might have any further luck with finding some Burrowing Owls.
Well I have to say and a huge thank you goes out to a very special guy for the directions he gave us..
BONANZA!!!!
We saw and photographed 17 different Burrowing Owls of various ages and sizes.
It was truly amazing to see all of them doing quite different things.
We got so many images that we actually deleted many
simply because we had so many to choose from.
Now that is a great way to spend the time I tell you.
We have been there so many times
and always everyone else has found the owls and said "go here", go down there" etc..
Well we never found them .
But Lee spotted some on a completely different road then what anyone suggested
and we got a great set of directions from a very special friend.
I am not going to blab the location to anyone..
as I have seen what stress does to these small owls..
Better these are not disturbed.
And no, Lee and I did not disturb them.
We were far enough away and no noises were coming from us.
We also did not approach them either as they really freak out
and the parent goes absolutely nuts.
We watched what happens when someone else approached one time
and decided we would not contribute to their stress levels with their young right there.
They are amazing little owls
and we were thrilled to see them again
and both of us were really pleased to have gone back again.
And to think that we used to have one of the best Burrowing Owl habitats in Osoyoos.
Now we have money making vineyards.
Everyone has to eat right?
What about the owls though...
sad I have to go to California to see what used to be in my backyard!
We got our Obsidian..
and listen Black diamonds are huge in fashion again...
We got the rocks for the cousins..
as she is doing a duvet cover for me out of a quilt top my friend Janice made for me.
Fair trade I would say.
Lee cut himself on this shiny black stuff..
it is like glass when trying to sheer it off.
We went to check out the birds at Salton Sea while we were there
and saw Cormorants, White pelicans, Grebes, Herons and assorted little birds.
The driving in there is really interesting
as it looks like dry alkali, but in fact was more like loon s**t!
Slid all over the place..
fun walking in it too as it is slippery.. fun though.
Got some flight shots that are fun.
Thought of my friend Laura today as well
as I recall her not liking the smell at Salton Sea.
It was a veritable daisy today in comparison!!!
We left there and found a hole in the wall eatery
that was clean as a whistle and they served hamburgers!!!
Lee is a happy guy.
I loved my hamburger but could not finish it..
it was so good that Lee polished it off for me..
From there we went and took a look at the Finney-Raymer wildlife area and found a Heron Rookery!
Then on the way out
we were treated to a couple of young Turkey Vultures receiving flying instructions from Mom and Dad..
oh man that was so fabulous to watch.
They are beautiful flyers and at one time I thought them the ugliest bird on earth.
I no longer think that and frankly I really like this bird for all the good things it does.
So there you have it..
I not only went birding ,
I took that big bloody monster lens of mine out to play.
Got some great shots and had a fabulous day.
So I guess I will not give up birding just yet!!!
Now I gotta edit some to prove to you what cuties the little owls are,
and how fabulous my Turkey Vultures are too.
Thanks for coming along.
nice to read that you are once again enthusiastic about photographing birds. Glad you hung onto that lens I think. Getting good shots like you got can be a real "high".
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had a great day, bird wise and hamburger wise. :~))
Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Hope you post at least one owl.Hope good things continue.
ReplyDeleteGood on ya finding the BOs! The roads must've been pretty slick from all the rain. And glad you took out the Big Gun! Sounds like you had a fab time.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
L'il Bro
Sounds like you guys had a great day all round!
ReplyDelete17 BO's! Wow!
I hope it was a veggie burger and not a dead animal burger....
ReplyDeleteWow, Burrowing Owls, and Turkey Vultures, and Hamburgers..oh my! I believe you've found Oz, and it sounds wonderful! I love all 3; can't wait to see your pics but will have to find my own burger. Sending big hugs your way, and best thoughts for a safe journey to Moab. Hugs from Texas!
ReplyDelete