Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Al Godones, Mexico

 Well now another adventure for us..
we went to Al Godones, Mexico.

This is most likely the only place along the border with the United States
that is still relatively easy to go across to withour the dangers at every other check point.. 
Driving your vehicle there for a day trip is plain insane!
You might wait for hours to get back across!
We parked in a lot and walked across with our friends Marilyn and Wayne.
The hoards of folks walking across is also insane!
And absolutely NO questions ,
in fact no people at the Mexican border.
Not one!

So there we were.. and already and I mean instantly
you are in this town of hawkers, street peddlers, beggars, and people selling almost anything you want.. .
"Hey Senor you need your teeth cleaned"?
"Eye examination senor"?
"Look real gold"!
"Mexican jewels Senorita" and on and on..
 this does not include the many Guatemalans begging,
the old people sitting on the streets begging
and the many young children 10-14 hawking bracelets, purses
whatever, as they walk among the throngs of people.
I truly had a blast.
I loved the hustle and the movements that were everywhere.
No one merchant would leave you alone,
everyone of them seemingly having THE best product
and each of them if lucky enough to grab your attention
saying how the last guy had junk
and the next guy was a thief!
I really enjoyed that I tell you.
I had no purse and wore no jewellery 
and walked among them checking everything out carefully,
just tipping my head slightly to indicate I was not interested
and kept moving.
When I saw something I wanted to really look at,
I stopped and they would descend upon me
and be so obvious in their pitch that I actually listened..
shook their hands and kept them talking.
This is not what they want.
They want to sell you something at a ridiculous price.
So I listen and I counter offer and what I say is an insult!
So the insults start..
 it is like being back in Winnipeg arguing with one of my Jewish friends I went o school with.
Always one of us trying to get the best of the other.
What serious fun this is.

Now I have to say I am most likely the only one truly enjoying this adventure this way.
I had my eye on a cotton hoody with Al Gondones written on it with Kokopelli on the back..
the man wanted $39.95 for it..
I read somewhere that you half the original offer and start there.
I figured "hey who set these rules anyway"?
So I found thre operators offering the same thing and going back and forth among them
I discover to my mounting interest they are relatives...
 father son and maybe a cousin.
I am not going to pay anything near what they want
and I AM going to have this..
So I argued and haggled
and finally got two for 30 bucks!!!
So Marilyn I hope you enjoy your new jacket as much as I do.
Because the buying it was more fun then I am ever going to get from the actual garment.
Oh I might tell you that the older man I bought it from (the father)
was a very nice well dressed man, asked me where his tip was?
I placed both my hands on his face
went real close to him and said quietly 
 "never wash anything white with something red"!
Lee just stood back  smirked
as he has seen this before.
Like Gordon says was only fun for the first couple of years"!
Maybe!

I turned and there sitting on the sidewalk was an older lady of a mature age ,
very very small.
Not offering anything but begging.
No one gives any of these folks anything
and always say"they probably have more money then you and I".
That maybe so , but I gave her a dollar...
her eyes were simply dead and she was beyond gratitude.
These are things you do not pretend.
I felt alright giving her the dollar
and did not think twice about it.
I would have loved to drop a big one on someone like that..
just because I could.
The lady in question was very obviously Guatemalan.

We stopped and had lunch in a place that appeared to have only Americans in it.. most of them were actually from Canada though.
Great beer, really hot and sunny out
and terrible service with worse food.
I have been told since coming back that their fish tacos are totally something everyone raves about.
Marilyn had them and was not impressed..
I had Quesadillas and they wee undoubtedly the WORST ever made anywhere...
but I cared not..
I was having way too much fun .
I bought two paper flowers from a young woman and maybe I did pay too muc  a whole dollar!!! But I love them and they really are so very pretty. So what?

The line up to walk back into the USA was maybe 3/4 of a mile long.. holy cow!
I thought it was great because they had awnings and benches along the way.
I decided to bench hop while others walked..
I discovered IF had I had my passport on me
I could have made the border in under 15 minutes!
It was very interesting bench hopping right up the entry..
"hey just waiting for my husband"!
Had a blast talking to all the folks in line too.
I am not even going to tell you some of my conversations either,
they were just too damn funny to repeat.

So our day was  done and we were safe and sound back in California heading back to Yuma AZ!
Fun filled day for me.
We bid adieu to our Alberta friends we have more or less hung out with all winter and they leave for another place today and we head off for yet another adventure.

We are going to visit really good friend Janice and Bob in San Diego
and maybe even get to se one of my "kids" from long ago and far away..
he and wife and little boy live close enough
we may be able to get a visit in.
So stay tuned for the next exciting installment coming to you from south of the border.

Until then thanks for joining in on the fun with us

Lee and Gaye

1 comment:

  1. Such adventurers!
    Good to read some more about your travels. I see your Facebook saying it is cold and rainy in San Diego! That sucks...
    Hopefully winter will be over by the time we get to Moab!

    ReplyDelete