Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We have arrived!!!

Well we are here in Desert Trails, south of Tucson AZ.
But before I tell you about it
please allow me to share the adventures leading up to today.

We had great travelling weather,
hit some major winds, but nothing that put a damper on the navigating.
Had the BEST cup of coffee at Bella's in Wells NV
and then the BEST hamburger at Ash Springs NV!

Now sometimes in one's life there happens a book that just wows you with the way the story is told and the manner in which it is written.
There may have been a movie that brought you to tears or either joy or utter sadness.But you will remember it always.
There may have been someone you met and that person has left an indelible mark on your heart forever.
There may have been a place you have visited or seen that just wowed you beyond anything you every imagined.
Well all of this brings me to the Valley Of Fire.

It is a place that simply makes my heart sing,
my thoughts become adventurous with all sorts of wishes.
This is a place of definitive colours from bold and in your face deep reds to muted and ever so soft pinks and yellows..
With every colour in between to delight the senses.
Deep crevices, slickrocks and slots.
To climb in , on and over.
Shifting sand, towering stories told in thousand year old rock formations.
Creosote trees, and a plethora of desert greenerie.
Playful Antelope ground squirrels, which by the way we hand fed.
I know I know.. they carry diseases!
But honestly, we were careful and they still played and we enjoyed each one of them.
Yes we saw birds but I never took one photograph of any of them.
The colours just called me and the rocks were part of my desires..
I had to climb them.. and go into the canyons.
I now have trekking poles
and (thanks Laura) have to say we went into the slot at White Domes.
It was a descent into a slot canyon and back and a terrific climb. 1.5 miles.
For many of you this is nothing,
 but my knees are shot and I want to tell you........ I did it.
Could hardly move the next day....... but I did it..!
The very next day we did another hike and climb
and it was twice a far and three times as difficult.
Golly Molly what fun I had.

We enjoyed a serious rain storm while there
and were so very fortunate, as it gave us terrific cloud formations
and that inkly blue sky just keeping you on edge
as to when the clouds would finally spill all over the red sand.

We also had some friends from Black Diamond meet us there
and really enjoyed their company.
Great to visit with this fun and lovely couple.

I was sad to leave this place
as truly it is MY most favourite place on earth.
I have travelled a lot of places and loved many places.
BUT this Valley of Fire is part of my soul.

If you ever get a chance to get to it,
by all means spend some time in the actual park and walk on the rocks..
sit and look and feel.
I took many many images..
and will savour the good ones always.

We arrived here at Desert Trails early this afternoon.
I am busy getting set up and putting things where they need to be.
Packing to come on this trip was done in stages
and all those last minute things seemed to get stuffed in front of all the things we will need over the course of our stay!
It is almost done.
Yahoo!

We also went and watched a Bluegrass trio..
and I loved the instumentation..
not the singing.
Going  to go to a rodeo at San Xavier Mission next week.
And a cowboy /Mexican thing at Tumacacori Mission the following week.

So my friends, bless you for dropping by and having a read.
Lee and I are pleased to have you along with us.

I bid you all a good night and may all your dreams be good ones.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, I had to re-sign in here as I forgot my Google password!! But it's worth it to follow your adventures -- though my wordy previous comment disappeared!! Here's the gist of it -- VofF sounds great, Gaye, your excitement there is palpaple and infectious! I'll definitely "hit" it before visiting you all in UT in March if not before. Perhaps Discovery's maiden voyage? I'm sure you'll be heading over the the ASDM if you're in Tucson now. You lucky devils!

    Hugs,
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have been BUSY! And it's so nice to hear of all the good times you are having. Glad you made it to Tucson, friends. Another of your fave places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VOF was great and definately a place we'd like to return. Glad you're 'home' again! Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you two are having a fun time and it has only begun

    ReplyDelete