Friday, December 6, 2013

Garage Sales

Now listen IF you have never gone to these events,
 I strongly suggest that you make an effort to go..
and GO EARLY!

I have had several of my own and that was simply to get rid of things I had accumulated over the years,
 it was serious stuff.

You have serious people attending these things.. Dealers... hoarders...... people looking to make a buck by re-selling at another yard sale or flea market..

So here in Yuma I had the opportunity to go to many yard sales with the cousins..
 now some are yard sales..
 and some are garage sales..
 I believe there is some distinction of difference between them..

Now the cousins have THINGS they go to buy..
 they know EXACTLY what it is they are looking for..
 me not so much.
 Remember I have had my own yards sales and do not need to GET more stuff
 after getting rid of stuff!

I had a blast...
 found me a table with a Kokopeli motif..
 great for my deck back home..
and some darling little Mexican pottery to hang on a wall outside too.
Then at one place I found ROCKS!!!!
 now that was a Eureka moment for me I tell you..
 I bought a bag of pretty rocks that will now take up space in my new yard back home..
 and they are really cool looking rocks too.
The last garage sale we hit was close to where we are situated and these folks have a store back home..
 where ever the hell that might be..
 well I tell you .. what a plethora of stuff.
 IF I was into Christmas Decorations
 this was THE place to be..
 BUT I am not..
 so I graciously left it for another..
I did find a great tortilla covered dish by Clay Art ,
 complete with four condiment dishes.. shaped with colourful peppers.
 Brand new.. loved it..
found a delightful wee bejewelled elephant with raised trunk.. now talk about lucky!
Oh and I got a Mexican blanket.
 brand new..
 All of this cost me 18 bucks
 and boy howdy was I pleased with myself.

I did find two gorgeous big ceramic pots that would have looked fantastic in my yard..
 BUT ran into a bit of an ISSUE with the cousin..
I was mistakenly thinking that there was a mission of buying jewellery
 but apparently the pottery was on the hit list too.
 Well far be it for me to cause an incident over 5 bucks worth of pottery that someone no longer wanted.. simply not worth the hassle
 so if ya want it..
 it is yours..
sheesh.

Now I have to tell you all my observations of the people I ran into..
 wow..
who would have thought that someone would STEAL stuff at a yard sale?
 Well think again.. they do and it was slicker then snot on an ice floe!
I saw this OLD lady and man literally take stuff out of the hands of others ,
 load up their vehicle(from WA) and try and leave without paying.. hello!!!
I saw immigrants buying up anything and everything
and was told it will show up in Mexico at their flea markets.. OK.
Hey free enterprise.
People cut you off with their cars so to get there before you..
People reach over you and grab stuff right out of your hands.. nice
I thought at one point that maybe a bitch slap might not be a bad thing after all.

BUT as I have turned over a new leaf
 and am a far more tolerant and peaceful a person,
I chose to laugh at it all instead.

When I got home, Lee looked at me and my treasures................. READ HAUL!
He said to the cousin.. "you let her buy things"?
 Hahahaha that was hilarious..
 an end to a perfect morning..

I was asked IF I might like to go again tomorrow morning..
 but I declined with a polite NO thank you..
 I have other plans..
 there is a HUGE Craft and Art Show at the Yuma Fair Grounds..
 now to any Canadian, a craft show at this time of year is just the best place to go.
..
So I turned down the ubiquitous garage sale in favour of a craft show
 and this time I am going to go with Lee.
 Now I may not buy anything or someone might get a really  unique gift from me..
But you can bet your bottom dollar
 I am going to have fun..
and the people watching will once again be delightful.

So I say to you..
do go to a yard sale sometime..
you will be in a sense recycling goods,
 helping some one's economy
 and pissing someone else off cause you got the item and they did not..
It is great people watching..
 and really good exercise.

Have fun this week-end doing what ever makes you happiest..
 with that I leave you with love, laughter, and Peace
Thanks for coming along with me in my quest for the silly stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog Gaye, oh the fun you get yourself into lol.
    A big Canadian hug,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete