Leaving Osoyoos was not hard at all. Winter was closing in quickly.
Getting to our first destination was uneventful and really a not bad three day drive.
Valley of Fire State Park Nevada, lucky us, two spots left in the campground.
We lucked out as we got a gorgeous site surrounded on two sides with my beloved red rocks!
Mouse's Tank was first on the agenda once we were set up.
This is a walk in (about 1 km) in soft sand, but well worth the trek.
Found some rock art or pertroglyphs and found water.. a deep cavern of it.
Walked further into a canyon but found it boxed at the end.
Having said that we also found a delightful arch way up inside the huge rocks.
I did a three hour early morning hike by myself.
The morning was just too Delicious to not participate.
Found all sorts of lovely small desert flowers and wicked light on the rocks.
It is so peaceful being the only human in the area.. rather like a reckoning of sorts.
Got back and Lee was still sleeping!!!
Lee and I hiked Rainbow Vista and we decided to go to the bottom of it all.
Well a goodly bit of time and effort and we made it.
Thank goodness for my trekking poles.
We made the wash and discovered just when you think you are at the bottom of the canyon,
the earth gives way and you can even further down.
Saw a huge jack rabbit.. and lots of fantastic rock formations and colours.
I am fairly certain that I might have missed my calling as a geologist!
Managed to walk out at the highway and had the long hike back up the road to where we parked.
A great day's hike.
We also saw seven wild peacock hens walking down a railroad track in Overton NV.
Now that was quite a site, never before experienced!
And in this same little town, I also was walking down the sidewalk and a goat with a pink collar came up to me. No one around to claim her.
I picked a couple pomegranates and she was plenty pleased to have these.
We parted on the best of terms.
Lee and also re-did the Cabins.. old rock cabins from decades ago. In great shape..overlooking a very deep wash. I never could do that wash and decided right there and then I was going to do it.Had to go up to get down.. and wow.. when one accomplishes something previously thought impossible,it is always a thrill.There was a large drop off and quite impassable for any human to continue going further down but seeing a large well of water again was really thrilling as this is not a commodity one finds easily in the desert.
We were told that there is a WAVE in the park and the Ranger was good enough to share where it was.Well that was the hardest climb yet.. seemed we were going down at an angle for a very long time..I am not all that pleased with the images I got but that is definitely on my "to do again" list.Rather fascinating rock formations and again the colours were fantastic.Almost unreal.Certainly no need to saturate!!!My legs were like jello on the way back up and I actually was sweating..glory be I was whipped.
The week in Valley of Fire was exceptional in my mind and this place really rocks my world(if you will pardon the pun).
Lee and I also took time to spend a day going to Snow Canyon Utah(just outside of St. George). Lovely small canyon filled with all sorts of delights.
Lave fields, petrified sand dunes and a view to drool over.
St. George is a gorgeous place with some marvelous homes.
From there we went to Zion National Park for the balance of the day(read until the light is gone).Ha a FANTASTIC time there.
Light was awesome and the colours breathtaking.
Got lots of keepers and will not try to get to editing.
As we left Valley of Fire I was saying in my heart, I will be back and I will dream of you often.
The drive to Pharump was interesting and we saw several Desert Bighorn Sheep.
No time to stop and get pics..
Never been here before and not certain that I would want to come back.
The place we are staying is called Treasures Resort and it is swank and lovely.
Having American Thanksgiving dinner here.Yummo
We are here for three more days and then onto some other place along our way to Yuma..
Until we chat again, look for some pics on Facebook in the very near future.
Glad to hear you are on the move again and got ahead of the snow!! I look forward to hearing about your travels ... am taking note because one day, Aubrey & I may follow in your footsteps ..... enjoy :))
ReplyDeleteYou're blogging again! I've been waiting for the full report and it's fabulous. Thanks for telling us all about the trip thus far. Can hardly wait for the next installation.
ReplyDeleteGaye, I just love when you blog while traveling...makes me feel like I got to go somewhere special! Have a safe fun trip...hope you enjoyed our turkey day. Love to you and Lee....Susan
ReplyDelete